We all (see the rest of my blog entries, for example) self identify and argue about wealth, race, religion, politics, beliefs, logic, reason and the color blue.
Having said all of this I had a thought that what really predicts how I chose friends, employees and any significant for of human interaction or entertainment of mostly based on one thing.
"Does the person, place or thing Get It?"
Regardless of who or what you are, where you're from, where you're going or what you believe in or think about, you either Get It or you don't.
"Getting it" does transcend all of those things. "Getting it" transcends trancendence itself.
"Getting it" is a balanced view of logic and humanity. "Getting it" is a blend of pragmatism and passion. "Getting it" is a combination of curiosity and native intelligence (smart like a comedian, not necessarily smart like Einstein - although Einstein definitely got it).
Diverse Types "get it"
MLK - black, baptist, change agent
Ghandi - Hindu, conflicted, change agent
A lot in common, but so much different.
Einstein - singular genius, rockstar
Kurt Cobain - rockstar, genius, OD'd
How alike were they? Unknown.....
I could list numerous family, friends and acquaintances that "get it", but would feel sad for those who don't.
Those that "Get It" have some other traits, all of which seem to me to be mostly organic or in their DNA, not taught or learned - certainly not taught or learned after very early years. I see it in my grandkids now.
* Seem a lot less happy on the outside, than they feel on the inside.
* Proud. Hate all slackers, but hate their inner slacker the most.
* Know how to have fun, even binge and go all bacchanalian at times, then go stoic. Can appear quite socially bipolar.
* Don't believe in only one "life love". Realistic to know that they can be happy for decades with someone, but there are others and more importantly WERE others and it's okay, it's human.
* Love to laugh
* Love to work - Need to work
* Love to be rewarded in ways that are meaningful to them.
* Honestly care little of what others think of them, yet expect recognition.
* Have a HIGHLY passionate sense of justice and fair play coupled with a STRONG empathy and compassion for the human condition.
* Usually not the best dressed or well groomed people in the room, but still found to be attractive by those in the room.
* Defined by their accomplishments, which they see as being defined by their habits and behaviors.
* Appreciate irony, eccentricity and weird, yet find warmth in normal things.
* Read a lot, I mean - a lot
* Pay attention to details and the present. Daydream about the future less than others and dwell on the past only during occasional bouts of reminiscing.
* Are easily bored, but are comfortable with doing nothing, with no one.